Limoncello is a quick and easy aromatic treat that can be made with any clear spirit. Depending on what you are making yourself, you can try neutral spirit, or you can use eau de vie, which gives it an additional layer of fruity-complexity.
The Alembics Lab eau de vie limoncello
Ready in 2–3 days
Start with 200 ml of eau die vie and add the following:
- The zest of 2 lemons
- Flesh of ½ lemon
- 3 heads of lavender flowers
- 1 large sprig of fresh peppermint
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme
- A pinch of dried chopped liquorice root
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 petal of a star anise
- 50ml sugar syrup (25g sugar dissolved in 25 ml water)
Mix all together and leave for several days (or more) in a sealed glass jar.
Check for taste and aroma and then strain through a double coffee filter.
Bottle and enjoy.
— by Jess Culpan